Questions to ask a Midwife
- What are your general beliefs about pregnancy and birth?
- What is your education and training as a midwife?
- How long have your been a midwife?
- How many clients have you had during your career?
- Do you work with a team of midwives?
- Do you have any clients who I can talk to about their experience with you as their midwife?
- How many clients will you take that are due in the same month?
- What does your prenatal care look like? (How often? What procedures?)
- Do you have any requirements for me? (i.e. childbirth class, any reading, etc)
- How do you handle complications during labor and delivery?
- What complications would you recommend transporting to a hospital?
- How many of your clients have had to go to the hospital? And for what reasons?
- What items will you bring to my birth?
- What supplies will I need to provide?
- What is your knowledge and experience with water births?
- Do you provide a birthing tub or will I have to purchase one?
- What is your position on breastfeeding?
- What is your position on circumcision?
- Will you examine the baby after birth?
- Do you offer any postpartum care? If so, how often and what procedures?
- What are your fees and what do they include?
- What payment arrangements do you make?
- Are your services covered by my insurance company?
- What do you love most about being a midwife?
- What do you like least about being a midwife?